Thursday, August 20, 2009

Work and Housing



So this last summer I have been looking for a job. In the beginning I was offered a job to be a Area Coordinator (Hall Director) at a community college. I have worked as a Hall Director for two years and a Resident Assistant for two more years. Kinda burned out by the whole live in deal. So I decided to decline the offer as I had seven other applications out for other jobs. All of them fell through.
So I have spent my summer in a state of alarm trying to get employment in this economy. I filled my time by looking for and applying for work. I also decided that this would be a summer where I would try new things. So I took up fly fishing more seriously, went to a major league baseball game, learned how to golf, and other activities. At the time it seemed to be going so slow but as I look back I wish I had more time.
I finally got a job in Cheyenne working for an Addictions Counseling center and am outsourced to a junior high in town. At first I was ecstatic that I finally have employment. Then it hit me, no more free time. It is time to start working. The summer that I thought was long and boring suddenly became a beacon of freedom and joy. I had got to spend time with family when I wanted to. I got to spend time with my brother, who is going on his LDS mission, that I would not have gotten to do if I had been employed. I got to do what I wanted. Yes I was not earning any money and was bleeding cash from my journeys, but it was worth it.
So now I am in the "big world". I spent the other day looking for apartments. To all who go through this you have my sympathy. Apartment hunting is one of the most humbling and shocking experiences in life. Not fun at all.
So now it is time to roll the dice and see if all these decisions I have made were the right ones. Will I enjoy my job, choice of career, new apartment, and new way of life? Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment